As a homeowner in Oxford, dealing with blocked drains oxford blocked drains might not be at the top of your list of fun activities. However, the fact remains that blocked drains can cause havoc in the home if not adequately prevented or fixed. Blocked drains are notorious for causing unpleasant smells, unsightly appearance and even structural problems if not addressed promptly and rightly. Hence, having knowledge about how to prevent and fix blocked drains is paramount, and that’s exactly what we’ll be discussing in this article.
### Prevention of Blocked Drains
Avoiding the occurrence of blocked drains is the first step in your quest for better drainage in your home. The following preventative maintenance tips, when practised regularly, can keep your drains free-flowing:
1. **Be Conscious of What Goes Down the Drain:** Not everything should go down your drains. For instance, in the kitchen, avoid washing down greases and oils after cooking. These substances can solidify in your pipes, leading to blockages. Avoid flushing items like wipes, nappies, and feminine products down the toilet; they can easily clog the drain.
2. **Regular Cleaning:** Regularly clean your drains by pouring hot water down them. The hot water can help dissolve and wash away minor clogs. For sinks that don’t have a garbage disposal unit, consider using a sink strainer to prevent food particles from entering the drain.
3. **Install Drain Guards:** Drain guards are useful in both the kitchen and bathroom drains. They help to catch larger items that might block the pipes whilst still allowing water to flow freely.
4. **Limit the Use of Chemical Drain Cleaners:** Excessive use of chemical drain cleaners will not only potentially harm your drain pipes, but also are not as effective against larger clogs. These should only be used when necessary and not as a routine method of preventative maintenance.
### Fixing Blocked Drains
Despite preventative efforts, drains may still get blocked sometimes. The following tips will help you correctly fix blocked drains:
1. **Use a Plunger:** This is the simplest and most common tool to fix blocked drains. The suction created from the plunger can help dislodge the blockage and restore the free flow of water.
2. **Snake and Clear:** When the blockage is tough, a drain snake can be employed. A drain snake can reach into the pipe and pull out the blockage or break it up so it can be flushed down.
3. **Use Natural Alternatives to Chemicals:** If you prefer an eco-friendly way, consider natural alternatives like baking soda and vinegar. Pour half a cup of baking soda, followed by half a cup of vinegar, right into the drain. Wait 15-20 minutes and then rinse with hot water.
4. **Professional Help:** If you’ve tried the above methods and the drain remains blocked, then it’s time to call in the professionals. A professional plumber has the right tools and expertise to diagnose and fix the problem effectively without causing further damage to your drainage system.
The importance of effectively preventing and fixing blocked drains cannot be overstated. A well-maintained drain system helps in preventing damage to your Oxford home. Remember, prevention is always better, cheaper, and less stressful than cure. However, when prevention fails, knowing precisely what to do to fix clogged drainage can save you from unnecessary headaches and expenses that come with major pipe damages.